Nowadays, the Distillery Lamont is still located in the heart of the Salzkammergut, where in the 18th century, distillates were already created behind the walls of the Kapuziner Abbey, which is in Gmunden. These fine art of generating brandies has been passed down through generations. Once upon a time in Ireland a smart irishman had the idea, to steel this gorgious recipe from his neighbours to make his own whisky. With his mistress Sophia Lamont, the irishman fled over the sea to the beautiful land Austria and to the middle of the Salzkammergut, where they found the perfekt place to make their whisky. There were great oak woods, big barley fields and springs, flowing over granita and they met some friendly monks of the Kapuziner Abbey Gmunden which provide the couple their cellar of the abbey.
The distillery was named after his beloved Sophia Lamont. In 1840 they created their first Single Malt Lamont Whisky.